Monday, June 13, 2011

A Quick Jaunt Over the Big Hill

     There is something about the high country that draws me to it.  It might be that moment when you're sitting at your campsite next to the river, watching the sun go down in between the clouds moving in.  It might be that moment when that big brown swats at your fly, and you think what could have been.  Whatever it is, I belong here.
      The Eastern Sierras have become my favorite place to explore.  There aren't many places left that you can completely get away from the crowds but thankfully many people avoid going over the pass this time of year. Caitlin and I ventured over the pass this last weekend.  The pass has been open and closed on a regular basis the last few weeks with snow still falling when a storm comes through.  All this snow means the rivers are high.  The EW was up 200 cfm from the previous week making the fishing tough.  2 swats at a dry and one hook up and release on a nymph is all I have to speak of in that department.  That didn't stop us from taking a bunch of pictures and having an all around good time.
     We camped next to the river as the sun went down and sat by a fire of sage brush and fence post as we anticipated the day of fishing to come.  We were up early and dressed for success as we ventured off trying to find the right spot for Caitlin to throw her nymph rig.  The water was moving and it was tough.  A couple hours of fishing only got me wishing that I had some size 22 callibaetis drys. A perfectly placed fly on the bank might have enticed  that rising fish to take but a couple bumps on a size 18 pmd was the best I could do. Looks like another trip to the fly shop.  We broke camp and ventured over to the Nevada side and explored the Rosachi Ranch but the river showed more of the same speed and attitude as on our side.  I did find a nice 4x4 road on the other side of the river, but all it produced was a thousand new scratches running parallel down the side of my truck.
     We headed for home with just the memories of the beautiful landscape and the fish that could have been.  We pulled into town and parked between an ice cream shop and a meat market that stated they sell beef jerky.  Those of you that frequent this area will know the spot.  I would like to recommend the ice cream but warn you to avoid the jerky.  Blah! 
      As I drive away from you, my beloved high country, I thank you for being you and until I return you will be in my thoughts and dreams.

Like there's another option

I highly doubt it

Leavitt Meadow


Reachin'

Caitlin waiting for a grab

Not a bad view

At work

No comments:

Post a Comment